* Tobacco oud starts off spicy – cinnamon/cloves and a bit of sharp wood
* It reminds me of the top of Bois Marocain and it projects massively.
* Then the tobacco starts to show up and overpowers everything about it. Buoyed by a subtle oud, the tobacco really is the star for a lot of the fragrance’s life.
* While it begins to calm down at this point (around three hours), it’s still present and projecting nicely.
* The dry down to sweet amber and vanilla takes a long time and lasts even longer.
Summary: I thought I was having flashbacks when I wore this scent because like AKafkaesque I realize that each stage of the development was another Tom Ford Scent. Whereas AK sees it as a mix of Amber Absolute, Sahara Noir, Cafe Rose, and Tobacco Vanille – being the DJ that I am, Tobacco Oud feels like a wonderful mashup of Bois Marocain, Amber Absolute, and Tobacco Vanille with a touch of oud. When I first heard of Tobacco Oud, I was hoping that it would be Tobacco Vanille, plus oud. I am happier with the results as this is very oud 2.0 (oud as subtle supporting flavor, rather than an ‘oud in your face’ bomb). It feels more like a greatest hits medley (kind of like Julet Has A Gun Mad Madame, but much more well-conceived) and is far better in my opinion than anything in the last two private blend collections (Atelier D’Orient and Jardin Noir). Since I already own the three scents it reminds me of, I probably would not buy this for myself, but for anyone who is strong enough to handle a powerful long term scent (more than 12 hours of wear), this could easily be a signature. Because of the projection, it’s not office friendly, but the strength can be downplayed by wearing only one or two sprays. This is also definitely a scent that needs to be skin tested, as reading through the various reviews online, I kept scratching my head wondering if we were all spraying the same juice.
Ca Fleure Bon
Now Smell This
The Candy Perfume Boy
Perfume of Life
Man Loves Cologne
Tom Ford Private Blend fragrances are available at Saks 5th Avenue and Neiman Marcus.
Disclaimer: Sample provided by sales associate for review. Image courtesy of Neiman Marcus.