* Loud, boozy brandy opening with a hint of honey and spice.
* Initial projection is quite strong – going out a couple of feet.
* The scent is surprisingly linear- only slightly changing over time to become a little woodier.
* After about 2 hours, it’s a light skin scent bordering on delicate.
* The base keeps a hint of the sweet top and the wood, with a delicate ambery vanilla in the mix.
Summary: A flat-out boozy fragrance would be something expected from By Kilian, as the founder of the line comes from the Hennessey Cognac family. I have a mixed reaction to Apple Brandy. It starts really loud but gets quiet and subtle too quickly for my personal tastes, unlike much of the rest of his line, which stays strong for a long time. However, it is well-balanced, it is sweet but not too sweet and boozy but not too much where you might get pulled over for a breathalyzer. For an EDP, the longevity is good – lasting more than 8 hours, but after the two hour mark it wears very close to the skin. I wouldn’t suggest it for an office scent, but it would work for a night out scent. I am kind of conflicted on this one because I love the first two hours, but at the high price point I expect it to last longer than it does on my skin.
By Killian Apple Brandy is available only from the By Killian website and New York city boutique.
Disclaimer: Decant purchased – no disclaimer needed. Image courtesy of Lucky Magazine.