Slept in today and it felt great.
I started off meeting up with the lovely Lucy from IMD (dance music publicist) and we had a nice catch-up chat and coffee at a pub. As we were walking back to her office she mentioned that there was a new perfume shop that opened recently. I looked in the window and the logos looked like Diptyque but I made a mental note to go back by.
Ends up the new shop is perfumer Angela Flanders, who won the FiFI for Best New Independent fragrance for Precious One this year. Her original store is located in the Columbia Road Flower Market and this new Spitalfields location opened just a few weeks ago, The lovely Eva Carlo showed me the whole collection. Eva used to work for Thierry Mugler fragrances, Les Senteurs, etc – so her knowledge was amazing and her passion for scent was inspiring. I picked up a non-traditional fig scent that I know a certain someone is going to love.
Eva mentioned that I should check out a new concept niche store called Bloom. Located just a few minutes walk away, I was quite impressed with the selection: the new Jovoy, Huitieme Arts, Undergreen, Perfumerie Generale, and a few I had not seen yet- Magnetic Scents (love Anais), Ann Gerard, and Testa Maura (Aqui de Casta was quite special). Also impressive was Rosa, the lovely sales associate who reminds me of Renata from Sens Unique – if she had been born in Yorkshire. She was on her game with stories, notes, etc. It’s hard to believe that she has only been there a few months.
Realizing that I was on the East side, I knew that Sick – the store that sells Boy London – had to be close. Eva helped me with directions and I was on the way. The store was quite authentic – random clothes hung up. The guy behind the counter was either stoned, spaced out, or having lived through so many years of partying that he was in a permanent stupor. I asked for a place to try on the shirt and he sent me downstairs. Downstairs is the workshop with mannequins, pieces, and parts strewn all about (look for the picture on my Facebook). I was happy to fit perfectly in a UK-sized medium shirt.
From there, I walked back to the tube stop to head to Les Senteurs where there was a blogger meet-up (organized by the jovial Nick Gilbert). Brigit from Olfactoria’s travels was in town and got to meet with Roja Dove (the lucky minx). Tara, who writes with Birgit, was effervescent. Dariush Alavi (Persolaise) popped in and we all congratulated him on the publishing of his first book – Le Snob: Perfume. Vanessa from Bonkers about Perfume was quite enchanting. Two other perfume lovers (who don’t have blogs) – Alexandra and Emmanuelle – were there as well. I felt quite a kinship to them as I still feel quite new to the perfume blogging world. It was a great experience to chat openly about fragrance with everyone – kind of like the live version of this Facebook group. We all talk in a strange language that most people don’t understand… so to be amongst like-minded souls is a great experience.
Kind of reminds me of going to Lambda – the gay student support group at Vanderbilt back in the early ’90s
We all chatted and got to sniffing (and gossiping). The Cloon Keen Atelier line is brand new and quite good. The store is impressively stocked with so many great lines – Francis Kurkdjian, Mona Di Orio, Parfum Empire, eLdo, Frederic Malle, and that’s just off the top of my head. Special thanks to the charming Nick Gilbert at Les Senteurs for being such an amazing host! You should be sure to check out Les Senteurs the next time you are in London – it is definitely worth a visit.
- Natalie on Royal Apothic Terra Firma EDP Fragrance Review
- Natalie on Providence Perfume Mousseline Peche Fragrance Review
- Abbie Druitt on Tom Ford Private Blend Shanghai Lily Fragrance Review
- Victoria on Smell Bent Accident Fragrance Review
- Luberon by Maria Candida Gentile | The Scented Hound on Maria Candida Gentile Luberon Fragrance Review
- Start the holidays with @SmellBent tribute to #NellCarter - Smell Bent Holiday Collection Gimel a Break Review t.co/BC0gi5OsZS Time ago 9 Hours via HootSuite
- Gift wrap your packages to look like a @Lacoste polo - Step by Step Instructions t.co/21XRIx3lZI Time ago 20 Hours via HootSuite
- Just in: I have no unfollowers and 1 new follower in the past week. Breaking news via t.co/nUEzlktk2M Time ago 2 Days via JustUnfollow
- Check out the Tauer Perfumes Advent 2013 Calendar - giveaways every day! t.co/y9J6vCriME Time ago 3 Days via HootSuite
- Black Friday sale at @provperfumeco 10% Off Online Purchase with code SAVE10 t.co/8goRqeEfpx I recommend t.co/9i6RumUtMN Time ago 8 Days via HootSuite
- Check out our review of @provperfumeco Mousseline Peche t.co/Ux2F3CZej8 Time ago 8 Days via HootSuite
- Number crunching for the past week - 9 new followers and 4 unfollowers. Stats via t.co/FjCo7zVRTa Time ago 9 Days via JustUnfollow
- #FF Thanks to New Followers @ArquisteCarlos @perfumeculture @marcygoldman Time ago 13 Days via HootSuite
- Article worth reading - mainstream vs niche in the marketplace t.co/xlqLTtuSwt Time ago 15 Days via HootSuite
- 2 new unfollowers (I know who you are!) and 6 new followers (hello! hello!) in the last week. Via t.co/FjCo7zVRTa Time ago 16 Days via JustUnfollow
Follow @NotableScents on twitter.