* The fragrance kicks off with a dry blend of incense and patchouli.
* Kalimantan is the Indonesian name for the island of Borneo which is the third largest island in the world. The island had the oldest rain forests in the world which have been deforested at a rapid rate.
* Out of nowhere, the scent goes massively and aggressively skank with a strong mix of cedar, cumin and oud.
* When I say massively and aggressively, I mean the volume gets turned up and it projects wildly. Its the first fragrance I’ve tested that gets louder the longer you wear it (heart notes are stronger than the top notes.)
* After about an hour, the skank starts to tone down and it gets a little sweeter.
* The base notes are a nice vanilla and sandalwood blend which lasts for 8 hours on my skin.
Summary: Chantecaille is a luxury skincare / cosmetic line for women. The fragrance bottle is quite pretty with etched/raised glass and a mirrorball like lid. While this might fit the other fragrances in their collection (Frangipane, Tiare, Petales), it doesn’t make any sense for the beast known as Kalimantan. I say this with love because I bought a full bottle of this monster just because it is so animalic, aggressive, and almost comically over the top. This scent would fit better in the line of Serge Lutens or even Etats Libre D’orange line. I am just imagining a rich lady sitting at the Chantecaille counter in a Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom getting her make up done. She reaches over and absent mindedly sprays some Kalimantan on her skin. The first whiff is pleasant but then a few minutes lady, the skunk hits and she starts screaming. I would love to be there to see this. Kalimantan is clearly not office friendly and I strongly recommend skin testing it. Even if you don’t plan to ever buy a bottle, get a sample and experiment with it. I am not comparing this to the shock value of say Secretions Magnifique, but the skank definitely comes out of nowhere and lets itself be known.
Chantecaille Kalimantan is available at Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, and Barneys New York.
- Blush and Beakers on Canvas and Concrete Fragrance Primer Review
- Jacoglu Oud Prestige Fragrance Review | Notable Scents on Smell Bent Accident Fragrance Review
- Ron Slomowicz on Marc Jacobs Bang Fragrance Review (MAINSTREAM MONDAY)
- Jordan River on Marc Jacobs Bang Fragrance Review (MAINSTREAM MONDAY)
- Ron Slomowicz on Mona di Orio Violette Fumee Fragrance Review
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- Listening to tracks, I often wonder what the perfume would smell be, Hansel und Gretel - "Gingerbread" - definitely a smokey amber with oud. Time ago 1 Day via HootSuite
- Check out this great interview with @jeffdame from @artofperfume t.co/Zof61H3Ouw Time ago 1 Day via HootSuite
- 3 weekly followers. 1 unfollower. Justunfollow doesn't miss a trick - unfollowers beware - via t.co/FCOV9A761s Time ago 4 Days via JustUnfollow
- Time to cast your votse for the Fragrance Foundation @FragranceFDTN Consumer Choice Awards t.co/ER5deEgeNv Time ago 5 Days via HootSuite
- Check out my review of @Nomaterra Brooklyn Violet Leaf t.co/6YLPE3e65e My first experience with the line and I am quite impressed. Time ago 11 Days via HootSuite
- 9 weekly followers. 0 unfollowers. Justunfollow doesn't miss a trick - unfollowers beware -via t.co/FjCo7Ae17i Time ago 11 Days via JustUnfollow
- Dark, dirty, skanky, sexual leather. Check out my review of @ByKilian Black Oud t.co/VOXy8WEtoI Time ago 14 Days via HootSuite
- Check out my review of @Dior Home Eau For Men t.co/72zXqvYYW3 Time ago 19 Days via HootSuite
- Number crunching for the past week - 12 new followers and 2 unfollowers. Stats via t.co/FjCo7Ae17i Time ago 19 Days via JustUnfollow
- Very nice debut from @Jacoglu - Oud Prestige - a well blended scent with oud playing a nice supporting role t.co/Cv5nbXJiN5 Time ago 23 Days via HootSuite
Follow @NotableScents on twitter.